November 14, 2009

Coucous Salad

This post is a salute to Rachel, who claims Coucous Salad as her signature dish. No arguments here, I'm grateful for the introduction. Besides being fast and easy to make, you can add just about anything you can think of.

I made this particular version with the things I had in the fridge at the time.
Ingredients
Artichoke hearts, marinated
Tomatoes
Onions (in this case yellow, but red is awesome too)
Chick peas
Mint
Cilantro
Coucous
Lemon juice
Olive oil

Directions
Prepare coucous according to the package. I recommend salting the water in order to bump up the flavor of the couscous itself, or even using chicken or vegetable stock, but this is certainly up to personal preference.
Chop all of the vegetables and herbs. Once the coucous is done, fluff it and add the other ingredients. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil, and salt and pepper to taster.
Done!

Variations
Other ingredients that work really well in this dish include, but are not limited to:
Kalamata olives
Cucumber
Parsley
etc.
Really I could go on for days coming up with new things to try. Right now I really want to try it with cubed chicken breast, peas and carrots for a Chicken Soup inspired salad.

I'd love to hear your suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I also made couscous salad!
    I used the "fatter" couscous and mixed it with baby carrots and asparagus, quartered into matchsticks and lightly steamed, as well as some craisins and some chopped scallion. I also made a bit more complicated dressing for it, with honey, mustard, and curry powder in addition to the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete